Melissa Sevigny / Via ibreatheimhungry.com
- 4 slices raw bacon
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 2 Tbl salsa verde
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 large jalapeno peppers
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- Cook the bacon in a medium saucepan until crisp – remove and chop for garnish and set aside. In the same pan, along with the bacon grease, add the heavy cream, water or broth, and cream cheese. Simmer gently, stirring often, until the cream cheese has melted and the liquid is smooth. Whisk in the garlic powder, salsa verde and shredded cheeses until completely incorporated. Meanwhile, wash the jalapenos and broil or grill them until softened and charred. Remove the skins and seeds and chop finely. Add to the soup and cook for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. To thicken further, add the optional ¼ tsp of xanthan gum stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and serve garnished with chopped bacon.
Aprrox. nutrition info per serving: 425 calories, 38g fat, 2.5g net carbs, 17g protein.